This workshop will be relevant to teachers, school staff and others who work with migrant pupils, researchers, and practitioners who are willing to engage in reflexive practices in order to problematise current research and teaching practices on migrant education.
This workshop will comprise of two different components. The first part will focus on conceptualizing and reflecting on intercultural education within Finland and beyond. Specifically, Dr Simpson will problematise their own research and disseminate the findings of the Erasmus + project ‘Education of International Newly Arrived migrant pupils’, which included two secondary school project partners from Helsinki, Finland. Dr Simpson will discuss the Erasmus + project outputs which included the production of the Finland country report on migrant education. The second part of the session will focus on workshop activities for teachers and researchers. The session will explore practical tools and strategies for teachers and researchers to reflect on their own experiences and practices relating to migrant education. The workshop session will explore the ‘Helsinki reflexive tool’ which is a tool developed for teachers of newly arrived migrant pupils by the University of Helsinki.
- allow students to tell their experiences in creative ways,
- work with our professional filmmaker to realise their ideas,
- allow collaboration with subject teachers (arts, history, geography and literature), and
- explore cross-curricular themes of migration and identity.
We can also help organise exhibitions and discussion of students’ artworks in school or online exhibitions.
The significant increase in young migrant students over recent years presents new challenges in education. Our planned online workshops with teachers to discuss the issues, and to demonstrate imaginative and innovative ways that teachers can work with migrant students, enabling them to fully participate in school communities and engage in learning.
The workshops will also encourage discussion and sharing of practice through interaction with education professionals from other schools and countries.
- Dates tbc
For schools who express an interest in participation, we will:
- conduct a workshop to introduce the research, giving background about migration in your country,
- discuss the project aims and purposes, as well as details of the research plan, and
- share information about the different aspects and activities of our project to your school.
- Further dates tbc